New Message: Picture and Page shortcuts overwriting

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Fri Nov 11 17:39:36 CST 2005

By: Ben Collis (ben at dp.co.nz)

I believe I am safe to say Manila behaviour for shortcuts is as follows ...

If an image and then a page are added with same title and thus shortcut (if auto-create shortcuts is switched on) the latter object's shortcut will simply overwrite the old objects sshortcut. Once this happens (say page shortcut prevails) using pictureref macros causes errors to occur.

Are there any future plans in the pipeline to modify this behaviour ?

Personally, I like to get editors to title pictures as e.g. "Subject.jpg" so as this is unlikely to conflict with a story page called "Subject" - but there is no guarantee that this will be adhered to religiously.

Is there a preferred (or smarter) way to prevent this ?

Ultimately it would be good for pic and page shortcuts to coexist with the same name, while effectively having a primary key value that was unique accross all types of shortcut.

There would obviously need to be logic to interpret which shortcut was being used if this was the case - but it would be safe for Manila to understand that within picture macros the shortcut used should be a picture shortcut.

Here's hoping .. I do find a lot of people get in troubles with this area.