New Message: Moving Manila sites from EditThisPage

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Sat Nov 26 12:09:13 CST 2005

By: Rod Kratochwill (rkrato at tampabay.rr.com)

Hi all,

I'm a Radio user that started out initially with an EditThisPage site. I fully switched from EditThisPage to Radio a long time ago but some of my family members have continued using the EditThisPage site to post content.

Now that the free ride is over, I need to find a new host for some of my other family member's content that is currently hosted at EditThisPage. My initial thought is trying to export the Manila content to Blogger so my other family members can host their content over there. They only post items a few times a year so a free hosting solution is the preferred solution.

I'm just beginning the process of spelunking through the old discussion group postings to see if there has been any discussion on how to do this. I've seen a few postings from other folks that are looking for a solution to this same problem.

My initial searches haven't really brought up the definitive solution, but my initial thoughts are:

1) Use the Download Your Manila Site process to retrieve the content in a root file.

http://manilanewbies.userland.com/stories/storyReader$1019

Question: Does this include all the images, and if so in a format that I can export to somewhere?

2) Then maybe I can somehow use my copy of Radio Userland to open the root file as a "guest database" and try to auto magically re-post the old content to the new host (Blogger, Typepad, Wordpress, etc). Maybe using the Manila Blogger Bridge tool?

http://radio.userland.com/userGuide/reference/tools/manilaBloggerBridgeTool

I'm wondering if anyone has any how-to's or experience with this process? I seem to remember 2020/Hindsight going through a similar process a while back and it was somewhat painful and required intervention by outside resources.

I'm sure the easy way is to just kiss all that old content goodbye and start out new at a different host. It sure would be nice to have that old stuff around to link to though. Maybe the Google cache or Archive.org could be used to "save" the old content?