New Message: Arbitrary Member Name

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Fri Sep 30 02:39:05 CDT 2005

By: Grant Dunham (gdunham at yukoncollege.yk.ca)

I have an instructor who wants to add students as members to his site - but does not want to use their email addresses. (Or even generic email addresses.) He also does not like the automatic password generation introduced in 9.5. (Several other instructors are complaining about that too - but I have been making the change to the server to allow managing editor specified passwords. Please make that an option in future releases.
I did a search on arbitrary member names and found this:
"Arbitrary member names for Manila sites managing editors now have The option to allow Arbitrary member names. with This option enabled, member names are not ...
manila.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$307"
That same message is part of the new features in version 9.1 But now the feature is gone and so are the messages. What's the reason for the change. (Besides the fact it's insecure. If users want to do stupid things, I warn them but prefer to let them.) Can you bring it back? Is there a way to over ride the email verification process?
Grant