New Message: As it turns out...

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Fri Sep 30 14:06:02 CDT 2005

By: Matt Deatherage (frontier at gcsf.com)

..there is /already code to do this/ in the right routine, manilaSuite.news.formatNewsItem. The "commentLink" bundle has a local routine, countMessages, that seems to do exactly the right thing - but since it's local to commentLink, I can't call it from the previous bundle, discussionLink, where I want the exact same thing.

I tried adding a copy to the discussionLink bundle but managed to break Manila altogether. Thank goodness for daily backups. So the code's not hard to write, guys, it's already there. If you want to put it in 9.6, you can even condition it on a new flag in #newsSite and add a Web interface later (I nominate "flCountAllResponses" for clarity), and if we set the flag and it doesn't work, it's no risk to anyone who doesn't go messing with the server. :-)

OK, end of pleading.