New Message: Re: migration of localized sites to other plattform (was: Rendering Static Pictures)

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Wed Apr 26 14:19:10 CDT 2006

By: Georg Berg (georg.berg at wdr.de)

After intense help conversation with David Bayly I was able to analyse and fix the problem.

Migratig a manila site from PC to Mac has problems especially if the language is not english. That is because umlauts in the german language are coded differnent and manila has no on-bord tools to fix this.

Other problems are navigation and the paths of the hierarchie.

The problem with pictures was induced by me because I executed find and replace for the umlauts on the whole site. Which unfortunately affected the pictures, because nearly every picture uses every possible character in the database.

Migating a site from a downloaded editthispage root to a Mac was even more complicated, because nearly every URL was to be changed and the table staticSite was missing in #newsSite. It had to be copied in from a virgin root.

All the steps I will present in the next post.