New Message: Updates...

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Tue Dec 12 09:30:05 CST 2006

By: Sean Baker (sbaker2 at monroecc.edu)

Hi;
I seem to be having a problem with my server.
(server is Windows 2003, 1GB ram, 2.8Ghz Xeon)
The server started going down yesterday – spiking the CPU at 99% and over 700MB ram – I would end the process and restart it. But each time (either after 5 minute or an hour) would do the same thing all over again.
This morning in the admin site I noticed an update - Misc. Manila Changes - So, through the web admin I tried to do the update, however since there was no response in 2 minutes, it stopped. Looking at the frontier window, I noticed it was still working on the updates and the CPU was at 99% again. I changed the web port so I knew no users would be coming into the site and let it do it’s thing. This has been going on now for close to 3 hours. The message in the frontier server is “Importing manilaSuite. …” (Everything and anything after that….)

Is this normal?
It’s finals time here and all our faculty have their websites in manila, so we need to get it going again ASAP.
Is the update causing the CPU to spike? Is there a way to shut off updates like this?