New Message: Re: Running Manila as "root" user

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Wed Dec 20 14:36:33 CST 2006

By: Sam DeVore (sdevore at cliffhanger.com)

You don't have to run as root at all. I do not on any of the servers that I still help run. I do the port forwarding from the firewall control panel, run frontier while logged in as a user (frontier for lack of creativity) then using the multi user feature, leave it running while the machine sits with the login screen. The key is that the port forwarding needs to be done by an admin authenticated process but frontier doesn't need to be that app, it just works out of the box easiest that way.