New Message: Re: Enhancement request: robots.txt improvements

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Wed Feb 1 11:16:18 CST 2006

By: Matt Deatherage (frontier at gcsf.com)

Well, it's been more than a month with no comment or suggestion, so let me ask this:

How bad would it be if I just modified robots.txt to rule out any URL that contains the "?" or "#" characters? That would still seem to allow a search engine to reach every message through its "/discuss" URL, and all stories, but not spend time spidering the #permalinks or the print-friendly or content-only pages.

Good idea? Bad idea? Is this thing on?