New Message: Enh. request: renaming news item departments

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Wed Feb 1 11:55:17 CST 2006

By: Matt Deatherage (frontier at gcsf.com)

When I rename a news item department, Manila starts responding to new URLs for that department's page and RSS feed. So, if I previously had a department named "Politics", but renamed it "The Argument for Power", this URL now works:

http://friends.macjournals.com/mattd/newsItems/departments/theArgumentForPower

but the old URL:

http://friends.macjournals.com/mattd/newsItems/departments/politics

..now returns a 404. The same goes for department RSS feeds.

I would like Manila to note, internally, when departments are renamed, and to issue permanent redirects to the new pages and feeds.