New Message: Problems with 9.5 access control

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Wed Feb 1 13:52:09 CST 2006

By: Matt Deatherage (frontier at gcsf.com)

(Yup, it's a frontier morning, lol)

I'm having difficulty establishing "no access before" or "no access after" on existing messages. When I check the box to say "no access after" a given date on an existing message, and click "Post changes," nothing seems to happen. The next time I edit that message, the box is unchecked.

If I look in the site's database, the message's "accessControl" table does not change when I click "Post changes." However, if I manually add a new date scalar to the table, assign it the date/time I want, and rename it "expiryDate", then the next time I edit the message, it does have the "no access after" box checked, with the value of the date I entered into the table.

It's almost as if Manila is rejecting any change to the message unless I changed the message body itself, and I shouldn't have to do that to change access to a message.

I've been waiting to install 9.6 because I kept hearing the beta period was almost over, so I don't know if 9.6 changes this or not.