New Message: Removing 9000+ Referers!

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Fri Nov 3 15:06:04 CST 2006

By: ken tompkins (ken at loki.stockton.edu)

I tried to save a copy of config.root today and got an error on a site's referers. The way I've handled this in the past is simply to remove all of the referers and the db can be saved.

Today, however, I had this happen and once I got to the site's referers I found 9000 of them! I tried to delete them by selecting all but Frontier crashed. I can, of course, remove them by the 20's and 50's but that will take hours to get through the whole list.

Is there a simple, effective way to delete all of them?

I've never seen this many on any of my 1400 sites and I need to get on top of this because the config.root is already one and a half megs.

ken tompkins
richard stockton college of nj