New Message: Optimizing blog master article index via cache or other means

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Wed Nov 29 14:31:44 CST 2006

By: Steven Chan (steven.chan at oracle.com)

My corporate Oracle blog hosted by Userland continues to grow at a rate of about 1 post per business day. Giving new readers an entry-point to the historical content is important for this site, so I've built a master index page (http://blogs.oracle.com/schan/masterindex) that lists articles by department. I've been using this approach:

Business Intelligence

 {viewNewsItems (50, "Business Intelligence", "* {itemtitle}")}

Configuration Management

 {viewNewsItems (50, "Configuration Management", "* {itemtitle}")}

This works but is slow; not surprising, as there are 19 departments. The page takes up to 25 seconds to build. Is there any way of optimizing this, either with a more-efficient API than viewNewsItem(), or via a caching-based approach, or something else? For obvious reasons, I don't want to have to resort to a manually-built index.

Regards,
Steven