New Message: Google Site-search returns SiteName: DepartmentName instead of article title

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Thu Nov 30 14:39:16 CST 2006

By: Steven Chan (steven.chan at oracle.com)

Like this Manila forum, I've been using Google's embedded site-search to allow users to search my blog.

Currently, Google returns the search results in the format:

 SiteName : DepartmentName
 Excerpt from the article's body text...
 URL to article

I'd like it to display the Article's Title, instead.

My "Home Page Title" = "Site Name", so it's possible that Google is returning the former. I haven't wanted to mess with this too much, for fear of invalidating Google's indices of my site.

Is there an option somewhere for making those available to spiders instead of the current default setting?

If you'd like to see this odd behaviour in action, my blog is here: http://blogs.oracle.com/schan

Regards,
Steven