New Message: New problems with static rendering

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Wed Oct 18 12:59:47 CDT 2006

By: Matt Deatherage (frontier at gcsf.com)

We provide a statically-rendered news blog at <http://www.macjournals.com/news/>. The actual Manila site powering it is found at <http://friends.macjournals.com/blogstaging/>, but of course, static rendering is supposed to replace all of the latter URLs with the static ones so people never see that.

I'm pretty sure this was working properly until I updated to the final Manila 9.6 last week. Now, as you can see from the static site's RSS feed, URLs that point to news items point to "friends.macjournals.com/blogstaging" instead of to "macjournals.com/news", incorrectly and undesirably pointing the public to the private server.

(I've changed the private one to have editors-only access, but like a previous post, I can't seem to make that work - even after changing the access and verifying that the browser on the machine has no Manila cookie for the blogstaging site, I'm able to access URLs like <http://friends.macjournals.com/blogstaging/2006/10/06#a33> without logging in. I see no editors menu, and the browser cache has been emptied, but I can still get to the page.)

Needless to say, this is rather undesirable, and I would like a fix before I have to try to figure out a new robots.txt file to keep the search engines from trying to crawl that site until the end of time.

--Matt