New Message: Frontier Hanging and/or using excessive CPU since upgrade

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Sun Apr 29 15:00:14 CDT 2007

By: Dan Mitchell (dan at mitchell.fhda.edu)

Since I recently upgraded to 9.6 and applied all updates, I have recently been having some problems with my Mac OS X 10.3.9 Frontier 9.6 installation.

On several occasions I have found (via OS X Activity Monitor) that Frontier is taking 70%-80%-90% of the processor activity. During the past few days the server has hung once or more per day. I also note that the Frontier status message can show large numbers of active threads, sometimes 30 or more.

I recall that some time ago there was a spate of reports of Frontier generating unclosed threads and/or otherwise monopolizing the processor, but I hadnt' seen this sort of thing much again until recently.

Dan