New Message: Re: SPAM

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Sun Feb 4 22:04:59 CST 2007

By: Dan Mitchell (dan at mitchell.fhda.edu)

I agree with Tom on this. I was pretty shocked to find that people adding /comments/ automatically become members of the web site. Either commenters should be different from members, and not added to the site... or else there should be no comments, only discussion messages.

As usual, Tom seems to be right on in his analysis and his suggestions... and in noting that this issue creates server loads that cannot be controlled. If I'm not mistaken (Tom, tell me if I'm wrong), even deleting the member and deleting the message to which the comment was added and turning off membership and everything else one might do via prefs... will not stop the problem.

Thanks,

Dan