New Message: Re: Trackback pop-up window

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Sun Jul 1 14:28:02 CDT 2007

By: Steve Hooker (steve at cybersaps.com)

This is the way I deal with TB spam:
I, as system admin, am bcc'd on all notifications of TB. In that email is a link for editors to click through to delete that TB.

When I see spam coming in, I look for a key, either in the domain name or elsewhere, it may and IP address, even weird headers.

I add this to a list of spam keys, which is sent to the several machines I look after around the world.

Further spam with these keys are blocked.

Over night, a script launches which looks through new TBs. Any that are spam are deleted.

I also have a page which lists all TBs. Any of these can be checked and deleted.

However, before each flood of spam, I note that there are probes, of junk TBs. These are currently deleted by hand, as these are so few of them—one per site, usually.

So, far, and touch wood, we're completely TB and comment spam free. None of my customers worry about spam. Though, it is a pain, when I'm not around and several 10s of spam will hit one site, generating 100s of email notifications to the notify list. All have learnt to be tolerant.

If anybody is interested I could package up my defences as a root with an installer. Email me off list.

Steve Hooker

http://www.blogfrootball.com/service

http://www.walsallschools.org/