New Message: Problem with Manila 6.2

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Wed Mar 14 12:18:46 CDT 2007

By: Dan Stegman (dan at eos.net)

Hello,

Frontier/Manila 6.2
PowerMac G4 400MHz
384MB RAM
Mac OS 9.0.4

manilawebsites.root - 1.73GB

We've been running Manila for a very long time now, out of subscription, I know. In any case, yesterday the server crashed (hard lock), and when we rebooted, the server said there was an error in free block list or something similar for our manilawebsites.root file (I'm getting this second hand), so we started saving it, after a few minutes it locked up again, restarted again, opened the file without complaint, locked up after a half hour, rebooted again, then the file would try to open and get an out of memory error after a LONG load time.

We have tried adding RAM to the server (it currently has 1.62GB in it) and increasing the memory for Frontier (currently 999,999, the highest it will allow), opening the file in Classic on another server (very slow), and downloading a trial of Manila 9.5 and running it on a G5 (10.3 server) with 2.5GB RAM in it. In all cases, it runs out of memory. In the case of the G5, it ran out at about 900+MB partition for frontier, monitoring from activity monitor, we still had about 1GB of RAM available.

Is there any way to salvage this file? We don't have a recent backup of it. I'd love to split some of the larger sites out into their own .root files if possible, to make this more manageable.

The server itself is running fine, with any of the sites that aren't in manilawebsites.root.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dan

One thing you sometimes you forget is no matter how hard your day, no matter how tough your choices or complex your ethical decisions, you always get to choose what you want for lunch. - Denny Crane

Dan Stegman e-mail: dan at eos.net
Exodus Online Services aim: Daniel914
800 Compton Road, Unit 11 phone: 513-522-0011
Cincinnati, OH 45231 fax: 513-728-4882