New Message: Ugly Spam Attack against Manila sites

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Sun Mar 25 14:26:19 CDT 2007

By: Timothy Wilken (twilken at mbay.net)

I don't need help with this, but it was a first experience for me. Ihave been running three manila sites since 1999. Fortunately, only one of my sites had open membership. In the last week, approximately 120 discussion messages were added with automatic referrals to graphic hardcore pornography pages.

Approximatel 6 hours later, I have deleted all the bogus messages (yes one at time). Heck of a way to spend your day off from work.

What's worse the spammers dumped hundreds of links to my discussion messages at many other open and vulnerable websites. A google search for my domain name now returns many of these pornagraphic messages aimed at my site.

Watch out!!

I have closed the doors, but the horse still got out (or, rather in).

Best,

Timothy Wilken
www.synearth.net

Perhaps some leader in the Manila community should post a warning or send or warnings to all users of manila.