New Message: Re: Frontier Hanging and/or using excessive CPU since upgrade

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Wed May 2 23:49:58 CDT 2007

By: Simone Bettini (simone at evectors.it)

Such lock-ups usually can be due to different reasons. In this case, according to the high threads number, looks like some page when requested starts a loop. Then the user tries to load it again and starts another loop and so on, until the whole machine becomes unresponsive. Unfortunately if this is the case you won't get any information from logs, as the log is written when the page has been generated.

There are some ways to nail down the origin of the problem, but some work on the server is needed. I have a function installed in user.webserver.preFilters that can be triggered from a flag, and logs on a file every request before it's processed. Thus as soon as the server gets unresponsive you should find in the file the last requests, and probably detect the problematic ones...

I got a simplified version of the function ready (the original one calls some code from other libraries I use), and I can let you have it, provided you dare to install it ;)
(should be harmless, just slow down a bit the server and fill up your disk if you forget to remove it, but anyway not so quickly)