New Message: Sharing the membership group

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Fri Nov 2 17:35:40 CDT 2007

By: Andrew Foote (footeag at wellsfargo.com)

I'm considering changing my Manila intranet server so that all sites share the same membership group. I've read the story on How to Share a Membership Group at http://manila.userland.com/howTos/shareMembershipGroup, but have a few questions.

If a new site is created, it does not get a unique membership group, which makes it tough to disable or delete the new site at some point in the future. Is there an easy workaround for this, or do I need to manually create an entry in the members.root, then change the membership group, before deleting or disabling any new site created with a shared membership?

The sample script for changing the membership for existing sites (http://samples.userland.com/stories/storyReader$55) seems to be unavailable. Does the script still work, and can you fix the page so that I can view it?

Are there any other important considerations before moving from individual membership groups to a shared membership group?

Thanks