New Message: Re: Manila Akismet (Trackbacks)

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Sat Oct 6 16:23:15 CDT 2007

By: Steve Hooker (steve at cybersaps.com)

Do you think, 14 comments were genuine? Along side 296 trackbacks?

I have a feeling that spammers probe, if they can get through, they'll keep an eye on it for a day or so, then, if the TBs or comments stick-if the sys admin isn't on the ball or the defences too low, they'll let all hell break loose, for ever. Of course, different spammers and different tools just makes this a subjective conclusion.

Here, I find them, delete them, if they keep coming, I block them. I do this within a day or so. I believe that they then stop and move elsewhere.

I've read on black hat SEO sites that Google's rel=nofollow isn't much use. Google will still use such for linkbacks, and thus it's still in spammers' interests to keep the spam coming.

Steve Hooker

http://www.blogfrootball.com/service

http://www.walsallschools.org/