New Message: Re: Licence Renewal & the Future

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Tue Apr 1 11:31:25 CDT 2008

By: Erin Clerico (erin at weblogger.com)

I'm not sure the original development team for Manila ever meant to develop lock-in for Manila users, but it does seem to have worked out that way. Manila is a great product and nothing I have seen quite matches it in many ways. However the market now offers many more choices, and choice is good!

Due to demand of some of my clients I developed a new way to migrate a Manila site to WordPress and it seems to be working pretty well.

Not yet tested with the just-released WordPress 2.5 - I have run lots of successful tests of Manila into WordPress 2.3.3 and even migration into WPMU (Multi-user WordPress that resembles the way a Manila server manages a community of sites).

I did blog this while I worked on it so if you want to take a close look at the gory details here: http://erin.clerico.com - I have a few charts up there on how the process works and some in-depth discussion of the highlights and gotchas.

While we can certainly discuss the ups and downs of WP/WPMU vs Manila here, anyone interested in having their site converted should contact me (erin (at) weblogger.com).

-Erin