New Message: Re: Frontier 9.7b24 for MacOS X is available

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Sat Aug 9 22:27:08 CDT 2008

By: Bill (lists at whalesong.org)

HI Lawrence,

I ran all the updates last night after sorting out the port-forwarding glitch, [that was my fault, not Frontier's] .

All seems well. I have two identical set ups for testing, my LIVE server, and a production/testing server at home on my local network.

I don't pretend to be an expert, so apologise if this questions appears obvious, but is there better use/control of memory in the new version? There appears to be?

I have always seemed to suffer with crashes every 24-36-48 hours and have never has Frontier run continuously for for that about 80 hours in the 5 years I have been running it. The SAME problem was experienced on different machines [x-serve and Mac Mini] and different versions of OS X.

In my testing so far;

I see the following.

Manila 9.6 [Old Version]

Total memory usage: 3.3GB;
Resident: 235.5MB.

Manila 9.7b24 [New Version]
Total memory usage: 27.1MB;
Resident: 556K.

Both have been running for 13 hours.

The only other apps running on both machines is a browser and timbuktu.

Is there a summary/update of specific changes we should be looking at?

Thanks again.

Bill