New kernel - observations & reactions?

Scott Granneman scott at granneman.com
Thu Jun 26 16:05:28 CDT 2008

My company has installed the new Userland Manila beta with the new
kernel on the following machines:

* Dual 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4 Xserv
* Dual 2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon Xserv
* 1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Mac mini
* 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo Mac mini

All the above are running Leopard 10.5.3 except for the PowerPC, which
is Tiger 10.4.11.

We experienced an incredible speed boost and a vast improvement in
stability over the old kernel. Sites that were generating 500 type
errors are no longer doing so. Static rendering is faster. Aside from
updating from Regex to Re we haven't experienced issues.

We've reported a few small bugs that Qaliva is working on. They're
minor, with easy workarounds. Oh - one annoyance: if you open a Mac OS
X Save/Open dialog box from Frontier, then Frontier crashes.
Fortunately, we can use scripts to save & open.

So far, so good. This has saved Frontier, in our opinion. Without
this, it was looking pretty bleak.

How about anyone else?

Scott
--
R. Scott Granneman
scott at granneman.com ~ www.granneman.com

"Most of life is tragic. You're born, you don't know why. You're here,
you don't know why. You go, you die. Your family dies. Your friends
die. People suffer. People live in constant terror. The world is full
of poverty and corruption and war and Nazis and tsunamis. The net
result, the final count is, you lose - you don't beat the house"
       ---Woody Allen