New Message: Static Pictures

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Sun Mar 23 17:06:44 CDT 2008

By: Grant Dunham (gdunham at yukoncollege.yk.ca)

I have static rendering enabled for pictures on our server. It is working well - the pictures are being written to an Apache server and served from there.

But it seems the picture data is still being writen to the manilaWebsite root file at #discussionGroup.messages.number.image.bits

I've deleted some of these "bits" entries with no noticeable problems. The sites continue to render with all the picture files coming from the separate Apache server.

Two questions:

1) is it safe to delete all the bits entries?
2) Would it be possible to modify the picture posting process to avoid writing to the database if static rendering has been enabled?

It seems to be a waste of storage. And the reason I enabled static rendering was for performance. This seems to limit some of those benefits.

Grant