New Message: Re: Multiple Domain Names

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Fri May 2 16:54:07 CDT 2008

By: Thomas A. Creedon (thomas at creedon.net)

Hello Newbie,

The answer is yes, to a certain degree. It is not possible, in my experience, to set up a Manila website in such a way that one Manila website will be able to function with two domain names accessing the one website. Although you can set up the domains to point to the same website, when you start using them, the URLs will eventually get fouled up and you'll run into trouble.

The trick is to pick one domain name to be the official domain for the website and then any alternate domains will forward to main domain.

I've not done this on the Domain webpage but have done it in the domains table. Something like...

www.myMainDomain.com 1 item
www.myAlternateDomain.com http://www.myMainDomain.com ( note the lack of a trailing forward slash )

Toodle-loooooooo..........
Thomas

editHere.com [1] website hosting service. "Websites as easy as see it, edit it, save it!<small <supSM</sup</small"

[1] http://www.editHere.com/