New Message: Re: 500 Server Error when editing pages or discussion items

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Thu Nov 13 11:53:35 CST 2008

By: Sam DeVore (sdevore at cliffhanger.com)

[RESOLUTION] Thanks to David Bayly we did track down the issue to be isolated to sites that had the old MetaData suite/plugin installed. (It should be noted that this has been superseded by <http://www.addedvalues.org/> by the same David Bayly. It is likely that this is related to the use of Regex in the MetaData plugin that has not been updated to match the new Universal Frontier kernel that is in beta testing.

When I turned off the MetaData plugin in in the effected site, the 500 Server Error was no longer happening and a search of other sites with this plugin did result in finding other sites with the same issue (although unreported by the users yet)

I am currently removing the metadata plugin from all the sites on the server and will be uninstalling the plugin (as I do not think any of the users were making use of any of the features). The metadata plugin is a little tricky to remove as it leaves tracks in a lot of the manila callbacks tables.

Thanks again to David Bayly for finding the issue so quickly

Sam DeVore