New Message: Re: About the recent outages

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Thu Dec 31 19:29:52 CST 2009

By: Grant Dunham (gdunham at yukoncollege.yk.ca)

Wow! What a nightmare! Thank you for your work.

I'm one of those dedicated followers that runs a small server with over 500 sites (about 100 of them are very active.) I've spent long nights and weekends trying to bring our server back - but nothing close to this.

The bigger issue for me is the future. I was starting to look at other software - Drupal and WordPress. They're both OK and are useful in particular instances. But Manila still does the job so much better in many ways - after all these years of neglect.

If Userland is abandoning Manila - that may be best. Is there any way to release all the code to open source? I know the Frontier kernel has an open source branch. And Dave Winer is working with Frontier Developer community again - http://frontiernews.org/2009/12/28/welcome-to-the-frontier-news-blog/ .

Maybe - just maybe people with the ability - like Dave, Jake and Brent Simmons (others) - could give the kernel some love. Others could work on extending it. Can we bring Frontier/Manila/Radio back?

Frontier got so many things right - I would hate to see it wither away. If there's anything I could do to help, I'm willing. I'm thinking about how I might be able to help host the services - or at least contribute to their hosting. Any other people willing to help out - if it's open source. (I just don't feel like helping Userland.)

Grant