New Message: Re: Manila hosted from an SSD drive.

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Tue Feb 24 04:00:04 CST 2009

By: Steve Hooker (steve at cybersaps.com)

I'm on Windows over clocked quad core to 3.2Ghz. I'm maxed out on RAM (4Gb), and mostly Frontier doesn't go above 500Mb, usually hovering at less than 200Mb. However, I notice a slow down in serving speed nearing 10,000 hits, so I quit and restart Frontier. Naturally, I have to do a save just before the quit and this can take some time, perhaps a minute. Then, there's the restarting of Frontier which is seconds.

My hard disk is 7200rpm and I feel a faster one or a RAID array would be better. The next machine I build will definitely have an SSD or two (or three ;-) specifically for the saves and the save as (squish) routine I run nightly. The squish saves each root as a copy, deletes the original, changes the name of the copy to the original and then re opens all the fresh roots. (It helps with data integrity and speed of serving) On my old 5200rpm disk, 1.8Mhz single processor with 1.5Gb RAM it was taking 17 minutes (with the processor maxed out at 100% and using up to 7-800Mb of RAM, now it's 4 minutes.

Now that the processor isn't the bottle neck, nor the RAM, the next obvious performance boost will have to be the hard disks.

Every time a new message is added to a Manila site I do a save. Depending on the size of the root that the Manila site is in, it can take some seconds. A SSD drive will certainly speed up performance there.

Also, when there's a crash, (few and far between now) a reboot is much, much faster. From a minute or two to a few seconds.

So, yes... SSDs are the way to go.

HTH

Steve Hooker

http://www.educatr.com/