New Message: Re: Creating an HTML file containing just 1 line of text.

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Sat Mar 21 23:13:26 CDT 2009

By: Ben Collis (ben at dp.co.nz)

Indeed.

The concept of a website like Norton telling people which websites are 'safe' in a world where new websites spring up everyday and an existing website's code and content can be changed in seconds is pretty dubious.

However, I am just here to serve ...

I created a server response (that Norton accepted) by hacking the XML feed script and producing a text response as they requested but I think it produced an error display in browsers so I did not like it.

This page contains the following errors:

error on line 1 at column 1: Document is empty

Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.

Latterly, I hacked the robots.txt file (defining a doc type as text) to produce the same thing which seems to work better with no errors displaying.

Seems the Norton thing validates the site from that file.