Obtaining an RSS data from an editors only site

Aadjan van der Helm A.vanderHelm at io.tudelft.nl
Mon Oct 15 06:08:09 PDT 2001

Hi,

We have an editors only news site for all members of our research group.

On the (public) home page of our group we check if the reader is an
editor, if so we want to include the latest news item in the page.
Both sites run on the the same machine in Frontier.

We thought the best way to do this is to get the RSS xml file from
our internal site and just include the last item if the reader is an
editor.
We set this up by obtaining the RSS file regularly (though a
user.schedule script) and store the news in a table. That table is
accessed from a script on the home page.

We run into problems because the RSS file resides in an editors only
site. We cannot access the url .../xml/rss.xml but must be an editor
first.

How can a script running in the user.schedule environment become an editor?

(Strange; it is sometimes possible to get the the RSS file, I tried
to follow the execution path but got lost in the woods...).

Regards,
--Aadjan