Help with cross-platform javascript css sniffer

Nate Russell nate at int-res.com
Tue Dec 10 03:20:14 PST 2002

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could point me to what I'm doing wrong.
I'm trying to put a javascript browser sniffer into the pageHeader in
the #prefs section, that will detect PC, Mac or ie3 and load a
separate stylesheet for each result. I have the script below in the
pageheader outline but can't get the css.files to be called up
properly. I keep getting the error: Macro error: Can't evaluate the
expression because the name "ie3" hasn't been defined.

There is probably a problem between the javascript and userscript
getting garbled. It looks as if frontier doesn't recognize my
stylesheets that I saved as outlines in the #styleSheets directory.
Any ideas?
Thanks, nate

<head>
	<title>{title}</title>

	{metaTags ()}
	<script>
		if (navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer")  \{
			if (navigator.appVersion \< 4)  \{
				document.write({linkStyleSheet (ie3)}
				}
			}
		else if (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1) \{
			document.write({linkStyleSheet (mac)})
			}
		else  \{
			document.write({linkStyleSheet (pc)})
			}
	</script>
</head>
{bodyTag ()}

When the page loads in a browser i get this in the source code:

<script>
			if (navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet
Explorer")  {
				if (navigator.appVersion < 4)  {
					document.write(<b>[</b>Macro
error: Can't evaluate the expression because the name "ie3" hasn't
been defined.<b>]</b>
					}
				}
			else if (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1) {
				document.write(<b>[</b>Macro error:
Can't evaluate the expression because the name "mac" hasn't been
defined.<b>]</b>
)
				}
			else  {
				document.write(<b>[</b>Macro error:
Can't link to style sheet ":" because it wasn't found.<b>]</b>
)
				}
</script>

--