Filemaker + Frontier + OSX

Nick Cahill ndcahill at facstaff.wisc.edu
Tue Dec 10 09:02:04 PST 2002

First, the problem is probably 10.2.2. Apple broke something in 10.2.2;
my copy of Frontier stopped doing apple events, too, and I had to go
back to 10.2.1. There's a new beta which is supposed to fix the
problems with 10.2.2.

I also haven't been able to use getData effectively. Even under 10.2.1,
I found it crashed or was unreliable. So instead I use:

delete(request[all]);
create (request);
setData(window[1].request[1].cell["Archive"], curImage);
find (window[1]);
dbRow = getData (record[first])

It's slower but it works.

But let me also echo your frustration. For me, Frontier's interaction
with other programs, mostly Filemaker, via Apple Events is one of its
main attractions and essentially my prime use for it. But it's always
the first thing to break with every change in OSX or Frontier. That's
obviously not always Frontier's fault, but it's a real drag. For the
relatively small tasks I am doing, it's not a big deal that Filemaker
find requests slow down the process, but that would be different if I
were doing large batches. I can't test the suggestion that the fault is
Filemaker's, because I didn't feel like writing an applescript which
would duplicate what I'm doing in Frontier to see if it was more
robust. If someone else could verify that it's Filemaker's fault, maybe
Filemaker would be persuaded to fix it.

Good luck,

Nick Cahill