Moving sites to new hardware

Samuel Reynolds sam at spinwardstars.com
Fri Dec 13 09:34:40 PST 2002

>Thanks for your help. The URLs aren't really a problem, but the file
>system pathnames are all absolute and there's no base path anywhere. I
>guess a search-and-replace script is needed after all, and I'll just
>hope there aren't any more problems hidden in there somewhere. I can't
>say I have a love-hate relationship with Manila; it's more like
>dislike-hate. I end up having to change Userland code all the time!
>Thanks again,
>Pete

Sorry, I mis-wrote. The search-and-replace was on
the file paths.

You could write a script that walks the DBs looking
and does replaces all instances of the old path,
but skips binary objects (and logs all the skips,
so you can try to figure out how to deal with them).

- Sam

>On Thursday, December 12, 2002, at 11:21 AM, Samuel Reynolds wrote:
>> I just did this for a client. The software was
>> moved to a new server, with a new domain name,
>> a new machine name, and new disk and directory
>> names.
>>
>> The base domain name had to be changed manually in
>> config.manila.prefs. I did a manual search-and-replace
>> of the old URLs in manila.root, mainresponder.root,
              ^^^^
That should be 'file paths', not 'URLs'.

>> config.root, etc. Took about 3 hours.
>>
>> Because they had only a few sites, they were able
>> to do Server->Uninstall Site and Server->Install Site
>> for each site. That took care of the new domain name.
>>
>> I *think* the Uninstall/Install could be automated.
>> I'm not sure if the URL replacement in the UserLand
>> .roots could be; I think some were found in 'binary'
>> objects (though I'm not sure why).
>>
>> As to changing Manila to use relative paths throughout:
>> save your effort. You'd have to change a lot of
>> UserLand code.
>>
>> HTH.
>>
>> - Sam
>> Samuel Reynolds              Sam at SpinwardStars.com
>> Custom Software Development
>> Put the two-way web to work for you.
>> http://SpinwardStars.com/

I'm currently looking for a new position/contract.
Resume at http://spinwardstars.com/vitae/
Samuel Reynolds         sam at spinwardstars.com
Spinward Stars: http://www.spinwardstars.com/