R: dyndns newbee (Georg Berg)

Gino Roncaglia mc3430 at mclink.it
Sun Dec 29 13:52:56 PST 2002

I assume you have a dyndns account because your ISP assigns you a
dynamic IP address. I had a similar problem (my ISP offers a good ADSL
connection, but only a dynamic IP address). My suggestions are:

1)in Frontier and Manila settings, change all the instances of
http://localhost, http://127.0.0.1, http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx [the
temporary ip address that happened to be assigned to you when you first
installed Frontier, or, if you have a local network or use a router, the
internal IP address assigned to your server in the network, probably in
the range 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255], with
http://youraccount.dyndns.org [substitute your actual dyndns symbolic
address]. If you have Manila sites, in the configuration page of each
Manila site set the URL to http://youraccount.dyndns.org/yourmanilasite.

2) install a dyndns client to keep your dyndns symbolic address
up-to-date with your dynamic IP address

3) in the hosts file of your computer - wich should already include a
"120.0.0.1 localhost" line, add a line "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
youraccount.dyndns.org", where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx should be either (if you
have no local network) your temporary IP address, or (if you have a
local network, or use a router) the internal IP address assigned to your
server in the network. Actually it is better to have an internal IP
address, so you don't have to change your hosts file every time you
change your dynamic IP address

Step 1-2 should allow your server to be reached from outside, while step
3 allows you to work on it from your computer.

Worked for me (the dyndns address is http://roncaglia.homeip.net and the
Manila site I mainly use is http://roncaglia.homeip.net/MerzLog)

All best

Gino Roncaglia