Multiple domains problem

Bruce Cornett bcornett at servlet.com
Tue Dec 31 06:27:41 PST 2002

Dan

I too have had that problem (on W2000 Server).  It came when I tried to add
a virtual domain - www.domain.com - via the admin page. I suspect that the
admin page entry system works properly if you have a clear understanding of
what the authors mean with terms such as "the objects will be specified by
a database address" (and then not bothering to provide an example:(.

In any event for me, it placed a bogus entry in (I believe I am remembering
correctly) the manilawebsites table. Deleting that entry solves the
problem. If I recall, there was enough information in the error message to
match it to the bogus entry.  I could find no references in the discussion
group, and as a new manila user I suffered a bit the first time it happened.

The only way I can find to safely add a domain is to:
1. create the website via the "add a new site" script.
2. open manilawebsites and then find the entry for the ManilaWebsite I just
created
3. (now at this point I believe this is the place where you can delete the
bogus entry referred to in your note- but be careful - I could be wrong
about this.  I have had to do it twice and each time I just muddle through
it - since it is not documented anywhere.  You should back everything up
first.)
4.   now I can choose server->map to domain

And that seems to work, though you still have to muck about a bit in the
admin tool changing paths and also change some of the default entries in
the pages - such as "Home", etc.

I have not had to deal with this enough times to have a SOP as yet.  Maybe
there is one at userland somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

I am certain that this is just operator error on my part.

Sorry I cannot be more specific, but I am too new to be certain about
anything with Frontier/Manila.

Bruce C