Glue table for "Mail"

Nicholas Riley njriley at mac.com
Sat Mar 30 19:15:44 PST 2002

On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 11:44:01AM -0800, Matt Neuburg wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Mar 2002 22:22:51 +0000, Douglas Wagner <hdmw at mac.com> said:
>
> >I'd like to create a glue table for the OSX Mail app?
> >I see how to extract the AETE data from an unbundled application. But
> >how do I access a bundled application on OSX?
>
> You can't. The Frontier "Commercial" suite dates from the pre-OSX days, so
> it does not understand OS X application bundles and doesn't see or know how
> to parse the .scriptSuite or .scriptTerminology files inside the bundle.
> However, it should not be hard to teach it to do so, as the format is
> extremely simple and easy to read - to see what I mean, just say in the
> terminal:
>
>   cat /Applications/Mail.app/Contents/Resources/*.script*
>
> I bet that a version of the Commercial suite that could find and parse
> these files would take just a couple of days to write. m.

Would this be easier or harder than asking the app for its
terminology? I don't know very much about how dictionaries work, but
this seems to be the way AppleScript deals with Cocoa application
scripting - it must launch the app in order to view its dictionary.

As a counterpoint, Script Debugger 3.0.2 now reads the
.scriptSuite/.scriptTerminology plists directly, which is necessary for
AppleScript Studio support.
--
Nicholas Riley <nicholas at invantage.com>
Invantage, Inc. / 201 Broadway, #601 / Cambridge MA 02139 / +1 617 577 7844