question about This

Matt Neuburg matt at tidbits.com
Thu May 16 11:20:57 PDT 2002

On Fri, 10 May 2002 13:58:32 -0400, Brian V Hughes <brianvh at Dartmouth.EDU>
said:

>I think my point still stands, however, that if you call
>the script and that script makes use if "this", it should return the
>address of itself. No matter the context of the script's execution.

It should, but to paraphrase Hume, there's no way to get from "ought" to
"is". I am looking straight at a page object which calls a macro consisting
solely of a call to a tools script that goes:

   return this

When I publish this page statically, I get the address of the tools script.
When I publish it through mainresponder, dynamically, I get:

   [Macro error: Can't evaluate the expression because the name "this"
hasn't been defined.]

I feel there should not ever be a time when I get a message like that, and
that I've found a bug. m.
--

matt neuburg, phd = matt at tidbits.com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt
pantes gar anthropoi tou eidenai oregontai phusei