customize discussion groups?

Bruce Cornett bcornett at servlet.com
Thu Nov 14 05:03:45 PST 2002

All

I have a client that wants to allow persons to post to news items, etc.
without being a member. I have suggested this might be problematic.  His
response is that the interface is very un intuitive. If you are not a
member, there is no dialog presented that says - "sign up now so you can
post a response now that you have hit the "discuss link" and find there is
nothing to discuss and no instructions on what to do".

I have to agree that it is not intuitive to the average person who is
browsing the web.

I have looked all about and found only one piece of info re: customizing
discussion groups and it is very old. Which brings me to my second issue,
generally speaking, as a newbie, I am having a hard time discerning the
direct relevance of the older postings to version 9.

An example is this story (6/21/99 Customizing Discussion Groups Brent
Simmons)- the only one I have found on customization - refers to
htmlInterfaces.root, which doesn't exist on my Frontier 9 installation.

So my question is two-fold.

First, is there a graceful way to allow my client to open his discussion
groups to non-members - or in the alternative - a graceful way to enhance
the dialog to make it more obvious to the page viewer that you have to join
to participate?

Second, is there a comprehensive set of current documentation for persons
who have not "grown up" with the product?   Or in the alternative, perhaps
an index, preferably one that was relevant only to the current version?

And while I am thinking about it, what about a comprehensive sysadmin
document - something that tells us what we need to do to ensure the safety
of our clients' data - how to recover from errors - rebuild indexes (are
there indexes?) - "pack" tables - all that sort of stuff that would help us
sleep better?

And are there any stats on performance - how many manila sites per server
before performance starts to drag - how effective is using a second server
to store picture and gems in increasing performance?

Oh, and is there a macro that will parse the list of sites by date that
would make it easy to determine when a "first month is free" site is up for
renewal?  I have a lot of questions:)

Or am I just being dense?

Bruce C