customize discussion groups?

Ken Dow Me at KenDow.Com
Thu Nov 14 06:10:46 PST 2002

Hi Bruce,

> I have a client that wants to allow persons to post to news items,
> etc. without being a member.

This is really swimming upstream, IMO. If you want visitors to add
content you should consider the CommentIt plug-in instead.

	http://www.baylys.com:8080/manila/plugins/commentIt

> I have suggested this might be problematic.  His response is that the
> interface is very un intuitive. If you are not a member, there is no
> dialog presented that says - "sign up now so you can post a response
> now that you have hit the "discuss link" and find there is nothing to
> discuss and no instructions on what to do".

This is a bit easier since you can configure the discussion group such
that it's not open to visitors and then add the requisite
link/explanation to your template.

> I have looked all about and found only one piece of info re:
> customizing discussion groups and it is very old. Which brings me to
> my second issue, generally speaking, as a newbie, I am having a hard
> time discerning the direct relevance of the older postings to version
> 9.

No easy answer here.

> Second, is there a comprehensive set of current documentation for
> persons who have not "grown up" with the product?   Or in the
> alternative, perhaps an index, preferably one that was relevant only
> to the current version?

I believe this is what UserLand is attempting here:

	http://frontier.userland.com/usersGuide

> And while I am thinking about it, what about a comprehensive sysadmin
> document - something that tells us what we need to do to ensure the
> safety of our clients' data - how to recover from errors - rebuild
> indexes (are there indexes?) - "pack" tables - all that sort of stuff
> that would help us sleep better?

No such animal. I offer a Manila Server Administration course from time
to time:

	http://www.kendow.com/manilaserveradministration.html

I plan to make it available online but it'll be well into next year
before I have time.

> And are there any stats on performance - how many manila sites per
> server before performance starts to drag -

This is tricky. There are many variables: static site serving, static
pictures, gems, plug-ins, templates, home page caching, logging. Hard
to give a cookbook formula.

> how effective is using a second server to store picture and gems in
> increasing performance?

Very. Static serving of pictures and gems is a great way to improve
performance. On OS X you can use the built-in Apache server without
adding a second box.

> Oh, and is there a macro that will parse the list of sites by date
> that would make it easy to determine when a "first month is free" site
> is up for renewal?

Not that I'm aware but it should be straightforward to adapt this one:

	http://macros.userland.com/hostingSuite/listSites

HTH.

--
Ken

Learn about Frontier, Manila & Radio Userland
http://www.kendow.com/courses.html

If you think education is expensive, try the alternative.
- Derek Bok