trouble updating root

matt neuburg matt at tidbits.com
Mon Nov 25 12:14:19 PST 2002

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002 15:21:58 -0500, David Carter-Tod <wccartd at wcc.vccs.edu> said:

>At 12:10 PM 10/28/2002 -0800, matt neuburg wrote:
>>(1) How can I make the update work?
>
>Establish the containing tables, i.e. im
>- add some logging code to system.verbs.builtins.rootupdates.update -
>perhaps copying newPartsTable.parts to scratchpad.

But this doesn't explain why Frontier itself, as part of its import process, does not create any missing tables. The same thing just happened to me again today: I tried to update, and the update process choked one of the items was system.verbs.apps.weblogsCom.read. But since I have no weblogsCom (what is it, anyway?), the item didn't import. Similarly, one of the items was system.verbs.builtins.tcp.im.builtinDrivers.jabber.code.messages.message.
But I didn't have *any* of those folders, starting with "im".

So I've got two questions.

(1) What is all this stuff? How can it be that this "jabber" things was "Changed 10/25/2002; 2:32:21 PM", when I don't have any "jabber" entry at all, to start with? It seems like I'm missing a whole bunch of tables and some big pieces of functionality. How was I supposed to get them, and how comes it that I've failed to get them through the normal update process?

(2) What's changed in the update process, such that I'm now getting these errors whenever a table is missing, but I never had this problem before? m.

matt neuburg, phd = matt at tidbits.com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt
Subscribe to TidBITS! It's free and smart. http://www.tidbits.com/