IP Address Control

David A. Bayly dbayly at udena.ch
Sun Sep 8 02:28:01 PDT 2002

Ryan,
As I suggested off list, the problem could well be that IIS  is
listening to both IP addresses, in my testing I was surprised to see
that webstar on  MAc cannot apparently be restricted to a single IP
address either.

here's what I did to test that. In a telnet program I connected to
66.221.37.205:80 and typed hello. I saw a response that I guess is
IIS error page

Hello
<HTML>
       <HEAD><TITLE>500 Server Error</TITLE></HEAD>
                                                   <BODY>
                                                         <H1>Server Error</H1>

<H4

  The following error occurred:<P>
                                  This request was not recognized.
Perform a trac
e.
   </H4>
        <HR>
            Please contact the administrator.
                                             </BODY>
                                                    </HTML>

Next I did the same thing on 66.221.37.206:80

hello
<HTML>
       <HEAD><TITLE>500 Server Error</TITLE></HEAD>
                                                   <BODY>
                                                         <H1>Server Error</H1>

<H4

  The following error occurred:<P>
                                  This request was not recognized.
Perform a trac
e.
   </H4>
        <HR>
            Please contact the administrator.
                                             </BODY>
                                                    </HTML>

Same screen. Its not  a Frontier screen.

Then for curiosity I did the same thing on 66.221.37.205:8080

HTTP/1.0 400 Protocol format error
Server: LiveStats Reporting Server
Connection: close

It sure looks to me like Iis is using both ports. Just because you
configure it doesn't mean that MS software takes any notice. :-)

--

- David Bayly.       Programmer and digest reader.     dbayly at udena dot ch
  		Digest Readers do it once a day.