IP Address Control

Ryan Hale ryan.hale at levistable.com
Sat Sep 7 08:00:58 PDT 2002

Hi Everyone -

This is a revisit to a problem that I have been having because I couldn't get it resolved.  Any help would be appreciated!

I am trying to get Frontier to listen on a specific IP address (66.221.37.205), but none others on the machine.  I would like to have my other IP Address - 66.221.37.206 - dedicated to IIS so it would serve static pictures and gems.  My problem is that I can't get Frontier to stick to 66.221.37.205.

The rest of the problem is below, but I have also posted with screenshots to http://www.ryanjhale.com/stories/storyReader$24.

When trying to start IIS on 66.221.37.206, it tells me that the "Address [is] in use" which told me another server was working on that IP.  I then shut Frontier down and tried to start IIS again and it started up and ran fine.  That tells me, then, that Frontier is the culprit.

I have set up Frontier according to http://frontier.userland.com/changes/62 (Under "Networking") to only listen on 66.221.37.205 (see screenshot at http://www.ryanjhale.com/stories/storyReader$24).

I have also set IIS to only listen on 66.221.37.206 (see another screenshot at the address above).

Some people had suggested to me earlier to set IIS to a different port such as 8080.  The problem with this is that if a corporate user behind a firewall (like myself) tries to access my site, they won't be able to see anything that is running from that port because the firewall will filter out everything except port 80.

Please help!

Thanks - again - in advance!

Ryan Hale
636.561.3403