New Message: "Invalid Stream" for new story

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Sat Apr 3 15:24:00 PST 2004

By: Matt Deatherage (frontier at gcsf.com)

I wrote a long story this afternoon (in BBEdit, thankfully), and when done, went to paste it into Manila's "Create a New Story" form to post it. Frontier 9.1b4, Mac OS 9.2.2.

When I submitted the story form, though, Frontier returned the error "invaild stream," on the classic blue page with the title "Dig We Must!!" I tried it in multiple browsers, all without success.

Here's the weird part: I know enough about Frontier to know that I should try to diagnose this by changing config.mainresponder.prefs.flDebug to "true", and then watching the results at config.mainresonder.debugLog, so I did that - and didn't get an entry. I watched other visitors trigger entries in debugLog, but my submitting the form with the story on it regenerated the "invalid stream" error while not creating /any/ entry in the debugLog. It's as if Frontier somehow generated an error without going through mainResponder.

I'm stumped at this point. The text of the story is entirely in ASCII (converted by BBEdit's "Convert to ASCII" tool), and I don't get an error like this one [1] where mainResponder actually reports a problem. I just get the blue "invalid stream" page. I haven't changed any configuration since I last successfully created a story, and I've made dozens of them without incident. But without any more information and no debugLog, I have /no/ idea where to go next.

--Matt

[1] http://frontier.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$9981