logging hits stats for Manila site visitors

Marcus Mauller mmauller at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 7 11:56:41 PDT 2004

Bob/Ryan:

The common logfile format:
remotehost rfc931 authuser [date] "request" status bytes

remotehost
     Remote hostname (or IP number if DNS hostname is not available)
rfc931
     The remote logname of the user.
authuser
     The username as which the user has authenticated himself.
[date]
     Date and time of the request.
"request"
     The request line exactly as it came from the client.
status
     The HTTP status code returned to the client.
bytes
     The content-length of the document transferred.

I've not used AWStats, but Analog likes both Manila and Radio common
logs (and by tweaking it's preferences, the optional fields). I've
also written custom programs for clients to make the information
prettified to what they'd like.

The two empty dashes are most likely rfc931 and authuser, but without
seeing your log output, I'm only guessing - they could also be
optional fields you've included on your common log settings
(http://127.0.0.1:5336/settings?page=1.9) such as virtual hosts,
referers or User-agent, which you could turn off.
If AWStats can't be tweaked with preferences to deal with the missing
data represented by the dashes, you could customize Manila's common
log output to something AWStats likes (see the bottom of the page
pointed out at http://frontier.userland.com/httpLogging)

Some users like information overload - so I've seen sites with both
local analysis and the external services - but usually, one is enough
;<)