New Message: Re: Scaling Manila with mySQL

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Tue Jun 22 10:48:10 PDT 2004

By: Thomas A. Creedon (thomas at creedon.net)

Hello Steve,

Have you considered breaking the discussion group into multiple discussion groups. Something like I've done with the IMZ-Ural Discussion Archive [1]. Membership required to view discussion groups.

I had the advantage of natural breaks to make up the IUDA volumes. Although volume 3 of the IUDA could use a forced break in the near future. I'd guess you could break things up into 1 or 2 year chunks.

My main problem with the nearly 110,000 messages in the IUDA is the search engine. I have to watch very carefully when new messages are being added, so as to prevent exceeding the 2 gig limit. When compacted the database is currently about 600 megs.

Toodle-loooooooo..........
Thomas

editHere.com [2] website hosting service. "Websites as easy as see it, edit it, save it! SM"

[1] http://discussionarchive.imzural.info/
[2] http://www.editHere.com/