New Message: Re: Scaling Manila with mySQL

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Tue Jun 22 12:56:10 PDT 2004

By: Steve Hooker (steve at cybersaps.com)

I'm not bothered about a search engine for this site, it would be nice, but not critical.

Currently the site, in it's own root, is approx. 185MB, and that's with 145k messages. But, virtually zero pix, in fact zero pix, as I've taken what little there was completely out, just a img src pointer. 4,000+ member tables could also do with mySQL'ing, but that's not so important as the messages table.

The site came from editThisPage, and is over 4 ½ years old. Sure, I could chop it, and I did try that at 10,000 message intervals, but was screwed on the threading (inResponseTo).

The only real solution is going to be SQL'ing those messages. What would be super nice, then is to do the same with ALL the sites I have. I mean, why not? This way, I'll have little problem with having maybe several hundred sites in one root, and several hundred roots. That seems scalable to me! (A couple of years ago, I did try 5,000 roots (one site per root) just as a test. Seemed OK, menu drawing was a little quirky and this was on Mac Classic, G3.)

My problem mainly is the save when a new message comes in (a 10 second save). I've set it so it only saves after 50 messages, but, once in a while a crash will lose some posts, and then I still have to save, which takes a few minutes or so.

I've zero experience with mySQL, would I have such problems with SQL databases? I mean with writing to and saving? Anybody advise?

Steve Hooker

http://www.cybersaps.org/