Frontier server authentication with email server?

John Newitt John.Newitt at bms.com
Mon May 24 15:02:10 PDT 2004

Greetings.

I have just been informed that our Frontier/Manila server will
soon be unable to connect unauthenticated to the smtp server to
send email. Is there a way to configure Frontier to authenticate
to a mail server with a unique email account?

If no, is it possible to disable email sending without ill
effects? Can I just leave the "Outgoing (SMTP) mail server:"
field blank on the "Basic Settings" admin page?

I understand disabling the email will do away with bulletins,
which we don't use anyway. We are using David Carter-Tod's
LDAP.root. Members are not using email addresses to log in and
already have no ability to have their password sent by email, so
that functionality was lost already. I will miss the ability to
have notifications sent to managing editors when there are
released news items, etc.

Frontier v9.0
Windows NT v4.0.1381 Service Pack 6.

- John