Proxy/Firewall/WWW-Alias -> allowDirectoryListings must be true Error

Carl Robert Blesius Manila-Newbies@userland.com
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 17:27:46 +0100

It seems support has a lot to do (I have not received word on this
problem yet), which is why I turn to the lists.

We have a university server that acts as a www alias proxy for
websites...
and I get the following error when trying to retrieve the www root
document from my sever when there is any kind of proxy in front of my
Manila server:

-------------
Sorry! There was an error: The attribute "allowDirectoryListings" must
be true.
The error was detected by Frontier 7.0.1 in mainResponder.respond.
Webmaster: webmaster@emsa-germany.de. Time: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 15:06:50
GMT.
-------------

When I set "allowDirectoryListings" to true to get a round it (which I
do not want to do), it lists the databases as files and does not pull up
a page

Here is our present address (please do not join the site.... it is not
officially up yet) so you can try it out yourself:

http://prototype.uni-hd.de/
points to
http://129.206.94.200/

This is a major problem that seems to be very WIDE spread (which is why
I would call it a bug)... just do a search on google
Some examples pulled from google:
http://www.voznuestra.com/
http://www.telebridge.com:8080/
http://websurfhawaii.com/
http://dutoh16.io.tudelft.nl/

We are not going to be using the university server as our final
solution, but a very large domain name company that is hosting our
present page as the domain name proxy provider. I know this a VERY
common setup for a lot of people internationally, so I do not understand
why this problem is not being taken seriously.

Or maybe it is just a simple setting that I (and a few other people)
have set incorrectly.

Greetings from Germany,
Carl Blesius

I also wonder if it is related to an error that occurs when posting form
behind a firewall and/or proxy:
Sorry! There was an error: Can't evaluate the expression because the name
"referer" hasn't been defined.

This is a major problem for anyone sitting behind firewalls or
proxys.... these are not uncommon (the error occurs behind our Squid
Proxies and a CheckPoint Firewalls).

HELP